Imagine working with a team of students on a major project using visual, audio, and interactive components; and being able to successfully design and program all aspects of the project using powerful technical media. This is what students in the Arts Technology program do. Students use digital media to explore areas of traditional creative art making in music, sound, still and moving imagery, and typography to express ideas and solve problems.
The Arts Technology Program has partnered with Heartland Community College, Illinois Central College, and Elgin Community College and produced 2 + 2 Articulation Agreements that will allow transfer students a smooth transition into the Arts Technology major.
Point of Pride
The Arts Technology program combines serious artistry with modern technology to train true digital artists who are prepared to adapt to today's needs.
Why study Arts Technology?
Students throughout the Arts program can take courses in Arts Technology, but those who major in Arts Technology get more in-depth study in digital image-making, audio, and interactive environments such as the Web. The program is a multimedia program providing experiences in music (sound design), theater (light and sound design), and art (Web design). The curriculum emphasizes theory, design, and practice in the application of computer technology to art, music, and theatre. A degree in Arts Technology prepares students with a broad range of knowledge and skills in multimedia design, including digital video and sound, computer graphics and theater design, digital and MIDI music, and Web design.
Applying to Illinois State
Illinois State's preferred filing period for freshman students for the fall semester is September 1-November 15. Applying early is encouraged to receive a decision by the end of the year, and for best consideration for your academic program and for scholarships. You will select your audition time within the application for admission.
Applying to the Program
Once you have submitted your application, including your application fee payment or waiver, you will be able to upload your portfolio, cover letter and writing sample. For admission to the Arts Technology major, the portfolio will be considered in relation to all other admission materials.
- Writing sample: may be poems, short story, script, or an essay. If you wish, you may write on what you think the role of an arts technologist in the 21st century will be (this is only a suggestion for those who don't have writing samples at the ready).
- A resume and/or examples of work relevant to what you would be studying as an Arts Technology major. Please submit 3-5 pieces. Your cover letter should provide the context for presenting this work.
- Your name must appear on your portfolio. The portfolio will include some of the following, depending on your interest and experience:
- Web site design
- Musical composition
- Musical performance
- Theatre resume
- Sketches of theatre design work
- Digital audio
- Samples painting
- Multimedia work
Students interested in the music concentration may also be asked to audition or interview to assess their readiness for courses in music theory.
Deadlines and Review Dates
- Deadline for Fall submissions is February 1
- Deadline for Spring submissions is September 15
You are responsible for arranging for the return of your materials.
For more information about the program, department tours, and classroom visits, contact Jody DeCremer at decremer@IllinoisState.edu, (309) 438-3921, or Center for Visual Arts 108.