Special Education - Deaf/Hard of Hearing Listening and Spoken Language Professional
This year-long, five course sequence of study aims to increase the number of personnel qualified to provide early intervention for Illinois children who are deaf and hard of hearing. Upon completion, candidates will have earned a Deaf and Hard of Hearing Listening and Spoken Language Professional Graduate Certificate from Illinois State University as well as having completed the core knowledge competency areas needed to apply for the early intervention credential in Illinois.
This certificate requires 15 credit hours for completion.
Point of Pride
The Department of Special Education is a Top 5 producer of licensed deaf and hard of hearing teachers in the country.
University Admission Requirements
A student applying to a graduate certificate program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association
International students can learn more about specific application requirements by visiting the Office of Admissions.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
A student applying to this program must submit the following documents and information in the online application:
- submit a current resume
- submit a cover letter outlining your professional goals and how this graduate certificate program will assist in attaining them
- submit a letter documenting a minimum of one year of successful teaching experience with students who are deaf/hard of hearing, speech-language pathology service or audiology service
- names and email addresses of three individuals who will provide letters of recommendation for your application
- upload a copy of current teaching certificate in deaf/hard of hearing or speech pathology/audiology certificate/licensure within the online application.
- Summer Term — This program operates on a cohort model. For information on the next application deadline, contact Dr. Maribeth Lartz at (309) 438-8988 or email@example.com.