Applying to Illinois State
Students must apply to Illinois State University prior to presenting a portfolio for review for acceptance into the Design/Production major within the School of Theatre and Dance.
The School of Theatre and Dance applies the same academic standards as those required for admission to Illinois State University. There is no separate ACT or Grade Point Average requirement for admission to the School of Theatre and Dance.
Students who seek entrance into the Design/Production sequence must present a portfolio of their work for review by members of the School of Theatre and Dance faculty. Portfolio materials vary greatly depending upon the applicant's experience and intended area of interest. Students are encouraged to assemble evidence of their work on prior productions or related projects. Items that may be included are sketch books, paintings, evidence of organization and management, photographs, production programs, drafting, prompt books, and more. Please consider that the faculty is assessing your potential for success in the field as well as your passion for the art. We invite you to share your experience thus far in the admission interview using your portfolio as a guide in that journey. Your interview will also count as your interview for scholarship consideration.
Preparing Your Portfolio Review
When you come for your portfolio review and interview, please bring:
- a resume detailing your theatre production experience
- a recent photo of yourself
a "portfolio" of your work, including
- production photos
- organizational forms
- any other audio/visual materials that illustrate your skills.
Quality is more important than quantity. Be prepared to discuss your portfolio with the Design/Production faculty at your interview.
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Design/Production major within the School of Theatre and Dance on a rolling basis, contingent on admission by Illinois State University. Normally students are notified within two weeks whether or not they have passed their portfolio review.
Portfolio Review and Interview Dates for 2018-2019
- November 3, 2018: Illinois State University campus
- November 16-17, 2018: Dallas, TX (Collin College)
- January 11, 2019: Illinois High School Theatre Festival (Champaign-Urbana, IL)
- January 19, 2019: Chicago, IL
- February 16, 2019: Illinois State University Campus
- March 1-3, 2019: South Eastern Theatre Conference (Knoxville, TN)
- March 2, 2019: Illinois State University campus
If you cannot attend one of the on campus auditions you may upload your audition electronically via Acceptd.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Acting I (THE 110)
- Fundamentals of Theatre I & II (THE 103 & THE 104)
- Introduction to Costume (THE 130)
- Stagecraft (THE 160)
Sequence requires portfolio review and interview.