- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective writing capability
- Creativity – using sounds, color, imagery and art
- Reporting and computer skills
- Ability to create influential and effective messages
- Strong research capabilities
- Critical thinking skills
- Attention to detail and well organized
- Learn to work well individually and on a team, and develop leadership skills.
- Understanding of different cultures
- Explore specializations within major and professional field. Select electives to enhance knowledge in area(s) of interest.
- Obtain experience through part-time employment, co-op, internships, or volunteer experience.
- Get involved in campus activities and professional organizations.
- Get experience with public speaking by joining Toastmasters.
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Training and Development
- Labor Relations
- Office Management
- Product and service organizations
- Retail stores
- Financial companies
- Insurance companies
- Hospitals and other healthcare organizations
- Print and electronic media
- Other business corporations
- Develop strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
- Learn to work well on a team.
- Join related professional associations. Get involved in other campus organizations.
- Take business courses or earn a business minor.
- Gain experience through internships, part-time, or summer jobs.
- Develop computer skills in areas such as spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software.
- Public Relations
- Corporate Public Affairs
- Media Analysis/Planning
- Creative Directing
- Audience Analysis
- Public Opinion Research
- Private corporations
- Public service organizations
- Public opinion research firms
- Public relations firms
- Advertising agencies
- Public opinion organizations
- Radio and television companies
- Sports and entertainment organizations
- Hospitality and tourism industry
- Nonprofit organizations
- Consulting firms
- Develop excellent writing skills.
- Gain experience through internships, even if unpaid.
- Serve as public relations officer of an organization.
- Take additional courses in marketing, advertising, public relations, or other area of interest.
- Develop a portfolio of writing samples, ad campaigns, and other relevant work.
- Join related professional associations.
- Be willing to move to locations with greater numbers of job opportunities.
- Be prepared to start at the bottom and work to more desirable positions.
- Media Sales
- Publishing firms including newspaper, magazine and book
- Internet sites
- Television and radio stations
- Film industry
- Develop excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Take elective courses in journalism, broadcasting, public relations, and advertising.
- Develop research skills.
- Work for campus or local newspaper, radio station, or television station.
- Get related experience through internships, even if unpaid.
- Learn desktop publishing, webpage design, and other computer skills.
- Program Coordination
- Grant Writing
- Volunteer Coordination
- Nonprofit organizations
- Professional associations
- Chambers of commerce
- Community centers
- Take courses in psychology, sociology, or social work to broaden perspective.
- Volunteer with community and campus organizations.
- Learn to work well with different types of people.
- Develop a wide array of skills including writing, speaking, budgeting, grantwriting, and leadership.
- Public Information
- Legislative Assistance
- Conflict Negotiation
- All branches of local, state and federal government
- Political parties
- Political action committees
- Learn local, state, and federal government job application processes.
- Take courses in conflict management and develop negotiation skills.
- Volunteer to work on a local political campaign.
- Join related student organizations and earn leadership roles.
- Find an internship with a government organization to get a foot in the door.
- Maintain a strong grade point average as many government programs are very competitive.
- Law Assistance
- Nonprofit or Public Interest
- Law firms
- Government agencies
- Public interest organizations
- Private practice
- Colleges and universities
- Plan on attending a specialized paralegal training school or law school depending upon area of interest.
- Participate in a debate or forensic team to hone communication skills.
- Join pre-law organizations.
- Obtain a part-time or summer job at a law office.
- Take courses in and gain experience with mediation and conflict resolution.
- Student Support Services including: Admissions, Advising, Development, Student Affairs, Recruitment, Alumni Affairs
Colleges and universities
- Ph.D. required for teaching and research in colleges and universities.
- Maintaina high grade point average and secure strong faculty recommendations.
- Earn a master's degree in college student personnel or a related field for administrative positions.
- Get involved in campus leadership roles in residence halls, student unions/activities, programming boards, etc.
- Admission counselor
- Audio visual consultant
- Consumer Advocate
- Copy Writer
- Customer Relations
- Entertainment Agent
- Event Planner
- Event Fundraiser
- Human Resource Administrator
- Public Information Officer
- Public Relations Specialist
- Sales Representative
- Technical Writer