Applying to Illinois State
Illinois State's preferred filing period for fall transfer students is September 1-January 15. For the spring semester, the preferred filing period is from April 1-August 1. You are encouraged to apply early in the preferred filing period for best consideration for admission into competitive majors. Visit the Office of Admissions to apply today!
The School of Theatre and Dance applies the same academic standards as those required for admission to Illinois State University. There is no separate ACT or Grade Point Average requirement for admission to the School of Theatre and Dance.
Any student accepted by Illinois State University may declare a major in Theatre & Film Studies. No audition or interview is required, although Theatre & Film Studies majors may arrange an interview for departmental scholarship consideration.
Students must apply to Illinois State University prior to interviewing for a Theatre & Film Studies scholarship within the School of Theatre and Dance.
Applying to the Program
If you wish to interview for a School of Theatre and Dance scholarship in Theatre & Film Studies, please select an interview date after completing your application for admission. Prior to your interview date, please submit:
- A resume detailing your theatre production experiences.
- A recent photo.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A one-page typed essay describing your interests in Theatre.
Please come to the interview prepared to discuss your essay, your experiences in theatre and any additional experiences you may have had working with young people. (Note that your essay for the School of Theatre and Dance is separate from the personal statement required by the Office of Admissions.)
Your materials should be mailed to:
School of Theatre and Dance
Campus Box 5700
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-5700
Attention: Theatre & Film Studies
2018-2019 Interview Dates
- November 3, 2018: Illinois State University Campus
- November 16-17, 2018: Dallas, TX (Collin College)
- January 11, 2019: Illinois High School Theatre Festival (Champaign-Urbana, IL)
- January 19, 2019: Chicago, IL
- February 16, 2019: Illinois State University Campus
- March 1-3, 2019: South Eastern Theatre Conference (Knoxville, TN)
- March 2, 2019: Illinois State University Campus
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Theatre & Film Studies major contingent on admission by Illinois State University.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Acting I (THE 110)
- Fundamentals of Theatre I & II (THE 103 & THE 104)
- Introduction to Costume (THE 130)
- Stagecraft (THE 160)