Applying to Illinois State
New freshmen will initially apply to the Art major. Students interested in this sequence will submit a five-piece admissions portfolio to the Wonsook Kim School of Art upon the University accepting the admissions application. At the end of the first-year foundations program, students will choose to focus within a specific Studio Arts sequence.
Digital Portfolio Requirements
Students seeking to major in Art must submit a digital portfolio. Once you have submitted your application, including your application fee payment or waiver, you will be able to submit your portfolio through your portal. For admission to the Art Major, the portfolio will be considered in relation to all other admission materials. Late portfolios will be considered, but you must submit by one of the official deadlines below in order to be considered for Wonsook Kim School of Art Scholarships. For your application, your digital portfolio must include:
- Indexed list of five artworks
- Include the title, description, medium, and size of each artwork on the list, identify each with the same number as the filename.
- Five artworks that you consider to be your best work in any medium.
- File Name: identify each image with name and number (e.g., Redbird-001.jpg; Redbird-002.jpg)
- Any necessary URLs (including YouTube and Vimeo)
- URLs may be embedded into the index or included separately.
Make sure that the artwork is squared in the viewfinder, is well-lit, and in focus. It is important to record color and exposure accurately, so be sure to set the proper camera white balance and exposure for the lighting conditions—consult your camera manual if you need assistance. Eliminate distracting backgrounds by filling the viewfinder as much as possible with the artwork without cropping the artwork itself. Use a neutral cloth or wall as a backdrop. If these cannot be controlled, then you are encouraged to carefully crop out any distracting background in a photo editing program. Accurate and simple representations of your artworks are paramount.
Transfer students: Work submitted should reflect college-level art classes already taken.
Required Courses for Admission
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Survey of Art I (ART 155)
- Survey of Art II (ART 156)
- 2-D Fundamentals (ART 103)
- 3-D Fundamentals (ART 109)
Portfolio required for admission.