New students are required to submit a $55 nonrefundable application fee or documentation for an application fee waiver. Your application will not be processed until the application fee or fee waiver verification is received. This fee or waiver must be received by the supporting document deadline.
The fee will not be returned to applicants who are denied admission or applicants who fail to submit the necessary information for an admission decision.
Some applicants may qualify for a fee waiver:
- Veterans or active military service personnel
- Former Illinois State students returning to the same degree level
- Permanent employees and retirees of Illinois State University
Students facing economic hardship may qualify for a fee waiver and can show proof in one of two ways:
- Students may submit a copy of their FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) showing their Expected Family Contribution is $1000 or less.
- School officials such as high school counselors, community college advisors, or financial aid counselors may verify an economic hardship fee waiver using our fee waiver form. This form verifies economic hardship if:
- Student has received or is eligible to receive an SAT or ACT testing fee waiver.
- Student is enrolled in or is eligible to participate in the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program.
- Student’s annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
- Student is enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families. (for example, TRiO programs such as Upward Bound)
- Student’s family receives public assistance.
- Student lives in federal subsidized public housing, a foster home, or is homeless.
- Student is a ward of the state or an orphan.
- Student qualifies for full federal aid with an expected family contribution (EFC) of $1000 or less.
These documents should be emailed from the high school counselor's, community college advisor's, or financial aid representative's professional email account to Admissions@IllinoisState.edu or mailed to
Illinois State University
Office of Admissions
Campus Box 2200
Normal, IL 61790-2200
Due to the Declaration of Finances required, International applicants are not eligible for an application fee waiver.