Applying to Illinois State
Required Courses for Admission
Students with fewer than 45 earned hours are evaluated on collegiate coursework and grade point average.
Students with 45 hours or more completed prior to transferring must complete the following courses with a grade of C or better:
- General chemistry I (CHE 140),
- Finite math or calculus (MAT 120 or 145),
- 4 hour course in biological sciences with lab,
- Speech (COM 110), and
- English (ENG 101).
Special note to students applying with over 75 earned hours: The School of Biological Sciences normally considers students with over 75 hours only if they have appropriate prerequisites completed.
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Introduction to Psychology (PSY 110)
- Educational Psychology (PSY 215)
- General Chemistry I & II (CHE 140 & 141)
- Biological Diversity (BSC 196)
- Molecular and Cellular Basis of Life (BSC 197)
- Physics (PHY 105 or 108)
- Statistics (ECO 138 or PSY 138)
- Earth Systems Science (GEO 100)
All students transferring into the Biology Teacher Education program must complete certain non-academic requirements called Gateways. Generally, transfer students must complete all Gateway 1 requirements during their first semester at Illinois State.