Applying to Illinois State
Illinois State's preferred filing period for freshman students for the fall semester is September 1-November 15. Applying early is encouraged, as the University must limit enrollment due to space at the University and in specific majors/programs. Visit the Office of Admissions to apply today!
The School of Theatre and Dance has pivoted to virtual auditions. We hope this gives you a convenient way to audition and interview for potential scholarships.
Audition and Enrollment Process
- Apply to Illinois State University
- Choose an audition/interview date
- Upload any required materials to your application
- Receive a confirmation email from School of Theatre and Dance
- Attend audition/interview
- Receive a decision within two weeks
- Submit your enrollment deposit and become a Redbird
Scholarship notification will take place the first week of March.
If you would like to audit a class via Zoom, meet with faculty, or if you have a question about the enrollment process, email Cristen Monson.
Students seeking admission to the School of Theatre and Dance begin by applying for admission to the University, using the regular admissions procedure. When you fill out your admission application form, you will also select a date for a Dance Program audition, portfolio review or interview. More information about this process is outlined below. (If you later need to change your selected date, please contact the School of Theatre and Dance, Cristen Monson.)
2020-21 Audition Dates and Information
November 7: Theatre and Dance
January 16: Theatre only
February 13: Theatre and Dance
February 20: Theatre only
Dance and Dance Teacher Education majors participate in the same audition.
On audition day, you will attend a synchronous interview with dance faculty. You'll be greeted by all faculty at a dedicated time via Zoom. Faculty will introduce themselves and answer questions.
While you wait for your audition, you will go to a waiting room where current students will talk about the program and answer questions.
All materials must be submitted at least three days prior to your interview day.
Requirements for Dance Program Consideration
- Upload dance audition combination to the SLATE application at least three days prior to the audition. A link to this choreography will be sent to you in your confirmation email.
- Solos: 2-3 minutes in length and can feature the choreography of the applicant or another choreographer
- Photo in arabesque
- Performance resume
- Interview with faculty
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Dance major within the School of Theatre and Dance on a rolling basis, contingent on admission by Illinois State University. Normally students are notified within two weeks of their audition results.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
Required Courses for Admission
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Fundamentals of Psychology (PSY 110)
- Educational Psychology (PSY 215)
Sequence requires an audition.