Applying to Illinois State
Students seeking admission to the School of Theatre and Dance begin by applying for admission to the University, using the regular admissions procedure. When you fill out your admission application form, you will also select a date for a Dance Program audition, portfolio review or interview. More information about this process is outlined below. (If you later need to change your selected date, please contact the Head of the Dance Program, Darby Wilde.)
2018-2019 Audition Dates
- November 3, 2018: Illinois State University campus
- February 16, 2019: Illinois State University campus
- April 1, 2019: Illinois State University campus
Dance and Dance Teacher Education majors participate in the same audition.
- Audition Check-in: Center for Performing Arts Lobby
- Turn in photo and recieve audition number - Photo in first arabesque
- Sign-up for solo/interview time
- 90-minute technique class (ballet, modern & jazz components) – Centennial East 116
- Individual solo/interview with Illinois State Dance Program Faculty – Centennial East 116
All prospective Dance or Dance Teacher Education students should prepare a solo dance or variation in the genre of their choice.
- Solos: 2-3 minutes in length and can feature the choreography of the applicant or another choreographer.
- Dancers should bring a device if they wish to use musical accompaniment. Please have a CD as a backup recording.
- Each student should wear professional, fitted dance attire with footless tights or leggings.
- Students should bring ballet and jazz shoes and will also dance barefoot.
If you cannot attend one of the on campus auditions you may upload your audition electronically via Acceptd. A Skype or phone interview will also be required if uploading electronically. The submission must include the following:
- ballet barre
- Center pirouette combination
- a turning and leaping phrase across the floor
- a two to three minute solo
Electronic Submission Guidelines
Prospective students submitting electronic auditions must follow these guidelines:
- Dancers must wear the same dance attire throughout the video
- Dancers must record the audition material on the same day in the same space
- Send link to video with resume and photo in first arabesque in email attachment to:
- Darby Wilde, Head of the Dance Program
- Video audition submissions must be received by March 1 for scholarship consideration
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Dance Education major within the School of Theatre and Dance on a rolling basis, contingent on admission by Illinois State University. Normally students are notified within two weeks whether or not they have passed their audition or portfolio review.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Fundamentals of Psychology (PSY 110)
- Educational Psychology (PSY 215)
Sequence requires an audition.
It is strongly recommended that students meet the Basic Skills Requirement prior to enrollment. Visit the College of Education's website for details on the Test of Academic Proficiency or acceptable ACT or SAT scores which can be used to meet this requirement.