Applying to Illinois State
Audition and Enrollment Process
- Apply to Illinois State University
- Choose an audition/interview date (Interview required for scholarship consideration only)
- Upload any required materials to your application
- Receive a confirmation email from School of Theatre and Dance
- Attend audition/interview if applicable for scholarship consideration
- Receive a decision within two weeks
- Submit your enrollment deposit and become a Redbird
Scholarship notification will take place the first week of March.
If you would like to audit a class, meet with faculty, or if you have a question about the enrollment process, email Cristen Monson.
The School of Theatre and Dance applies the same academic standards as those required for admission to Illinois State University. There is no separate SAT/ACT or GPA requirement for admission to the School of Theatre and Dance.
Any student accepted by Illinois State University may declare a major in Film and Digital Media. No audition or interview is required, although Film and Digital Media majors may arrange an interview for departmental scholarship consideration.
You must apply to Illinois State University prior to interviewing for a Film and Digital Media scholarship within the School of Theatre and Dance.
Interview for a Scholarship
On your interview day, you will attend an interview with Film and Digital Media faculty.
There will be a brief meeting of all those interviewing. Faculty and administration will introduce themselves and answer questions.
While waiting for your interview, you will be sent to a waiting room where current students will talk about the program and answer questions. Individual interviews take place in the order the application is received.
During the interview with faculty, you will be asked to talk about your interest in this program, your experience in film/video and theatre, a film and a play you enjoyed, involvement in extracurricular or leadership activities, your expectations, and plans.
You will also be asked to present one of the two options outlined below: a 1-10 minute video of your work or a 2-page film review.
2021-2022 Interview Dates
November 6, 2021 Theatre and Dance ISU
January 29, 2022 Theatre Only ISU
February 12, 2022 Theatre and Dance ISU
February 26, 2022 Theatre Only ISU
Requirements for Film and Digital Media Scholarship Consideration
- Upload a resume of relevant theatre or film experience
- Upload a recent photo to SLATE application.
- Option 1: Prepare a 1-10-minute video of your work to share.
- Option 2: Prepare a 2-page film review.
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Film and Digital Media major contingent on admission to Illinois State University.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
Recommended Courses for Admission
- Introduction to Film Art (THE 170)
- Acting I (THE 110)
- Costume (THE 130)