Applying to Illinois State
Illinois State's preferred filing period for fall transfer students is September 1-January 15. For the spring semester, the preferred filing period is from April 1-August 1. You are encouraged to apply early in the preferred filing period for best consideration for admission into competitive majors. Visit the Office of Admissions to apply today!
Required Courses for Admission
Completion with grades of C or better in each of the following: (for students with 30 or more earned hours)
- Fundamentals of Psychology (PSY 110) or Introduction to Psychology (PSY 111)
- Finite Math (MAT 120), Applied Calculus (MAT 121), Pre-Calculus (MAT 144) or Calculus I (MAT 145)
- One transferable laboratory science course
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Lifespan Development (PSY 213)
- Social Psychology (PSY 223)
- Psychology of Personality (PSY 233)
- A foreign language equivalent to Illinois State’s 112 level or higher
- Philosophy (PHI 101), The Ideal of Democracy (PHI 104), or Language, Logic, and Mathematics (PHI 112)
- Two laboratory sciences
- Strongly encouraged (for students with less than 30 hours earned): a mathematics courses approved for the psychology major— Finite Math (MAT 120), Applied Calculus (MAT 121), Precalculus (MAT 144) or Calculus I (MAT 145)
Students with 75 earned hours or more are admitted on a limited, case-by-case basis.