September 1 - November 1, Fall Admission Only
Requirements for transferring into the Social Work major include:
- Work with University College advisor to start completing general education courses, and the prerequisite courses to enter the Social Work program. See list of required courses below.
- Successfully completed a minimum of 25 pre-approved clock hours of volunteer or paid work experience (post high school graduation) in a social agency within the last two years. This requirement can be met through a broad range of experiences with populations or individuals experiencing a social problem.The list of appropriate local volunteer opportunities can serve as a guide to appropriate experiences either in Bloomington-Normal or in other communities. Complete the Volunteer Service Hours form.
- Examples of Bloomington-Normal area social service agencies.
- Personal Essay - addressing specified qualifications
- Demonstrated suitability for the profession proven through the personal statement. Assessment of suitability is also based on professional standards of practice as specified in the Clinical Social Work and Social Work Practice Act and the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics.
- The following course requirements before entering the BSW program sequence.
One social work course:
- SWK 170 - Introduction to Social Work
One human biology course from the following:
- BSC 101 - Fundamental Concepts in Biology
- BSC 145 - Human Biology
- BSC 170-Genetics and Society
One statistics course from the following:
- ECO/GEO/POS/PSY 138 - Social Science Reasoning and Statistics
- MQM 100-Statistical Reasonsing
One sociology course from the following:
- SOA 106 –Intro to Sociology
Two psychology courses:
- PSY 110 – Intro to Psychology
- PSY 350 – Psychopathology
One economics course:
- ECO 103 – Individual and Social Change
One political science course:
- POL 101 or POL 105 or POL 106
One anthropology course:
- ANT 185- Fulfills Global Study Requirement