Freshman Admission Requirements
Our commitment to individual attention reaches beyond the classroom into the admissions process. To determine your academic preparedness and fit, all elements of your application will be reviewed carefully by a University professional.
Highest admission priority will be granted to students with the strongest academic records.
What Admissions considers:
- High school courses completed
- Grade point average
- SAT/ACT scores and subscores
- Optional academic personal statement
You are encouraged to pursue a rigorous and challenging college preparatory program:
- English - 4 years
- Mathematics - 3 years
- traditional (algebra, geometry, algebra II)
- OR integrated (math 1, 2, and 3)
- Natural science – 2 years with laboratories
- Social science – 2 years
- Foreign language/Fine arts – 2 years of the same language OR 2 years of fine arts
Deficiencies are not allowed in any subject area.
Admitted Student Profile
Middle 50% ranges for 2017
Freshmen GPA: 3.06–3.80 on a 4.0 scale
For students whose applications require further review, an optional academic personal statement may help us come to the right decision. If you choose to submit a statement, it will be considered along with your transcript and test score information to determine your eligibility for admission.
If you choose to submit a statement, it should be approximately 500 words and address the following:
- State why you feel Illinois State University is a good fit for your educational goals.
- Identify and explain your academic strengths and weaknesses.
- Explain any circumstances which affected your high school academic performance, if applicable.
It may be in your best interest to complete the optional statement if you fall below or in the lower end of one or all of the middle 50 percent ranges for admitted students.