Minimum required credit hours: 40 (B.S. degree option: 58)
Take 6 credit hours of the following
Take 3 credit hours from the following
Take 6 credit hours from British Literatures and Cultures, American Literatures and Cultures, Global Literatures and Cultures, Children's Literature, or Women's Literature from the following courses
British Literatures and Cultures
- ENG 110
- ENG 213
- ENG 214
- ENG 216
- ENG 217
- ENG 218
- ENG 219
- ENG 222
- ENG 311
- ENG 320
- ENG 322
- ENG 329
- ENG 378
American Literatures and Cultures
Global Literatures and Cultures
- ENG 100 must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- Students pursuing the B.S. degree option for this sequence must complete a focused plan of study in mathematics, technology, natural sciences or social sciences, which can be applied toward the completion of a minor. Students pursuing the B.S. option must also satisfy the Bachelors of Science, Mathematics, and Technology requirement.
- Minimum of 40 English courses required, exclusive of ENG 101.
- 2.0 major GPA in English courses taken at Illinois State University.
Course Finder >
- 120 minimum total credit hours
- A minimum of 42 of the 120 total hours must be senior college hours (200-300 level courses)
- AMALI requirement (certain courses in General Education and/or major may fulfill the AMALI requirement)
- IDEAS (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access in U.S. Society) requirement (certain courses in General Education and/or major may fulfill the IDEAS requirement)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Science degree must complete a B.S. - Science, Math, & Technology degree requirement (beyond the General Education requirements)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete a B.A. - foreign language degree requirement: LAN/FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/JPN/POR 115 (or equivalent)
- Some majors complete other types of degrees that do not include additional graduation requirements. For example, the Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. in Ed.) or the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.).
College of Arts and Sciences foreign language requirement - LAN/FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/JPN/POR 111 and 112 (or equivalent)
The complete General Education Program consists of 13 courses (39 semester hours). Because of laboratory or recitation requirements, some courses are listed as four or five credit hours in this catalog. All four or five hours will be credited toward graduation requirements, but only three hours will be credited in General Education for these courses. Depending on their major, students may be exempted from one General Education category (maximum of one course) because of disciplinary expertise gained in their major.
- Communication and Composition (2 courses required)
- COM 110 Communication as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- ENG 101 or ENG 101A10 Composition as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Natural Science/Natural Science Alternatives (2 courses required) Must complete 1 course from 2 different sciences.
- United States Traditions (1 course required)
- Individuals & Civic Life (1 course required)
- Fine Arts (1 course/3 credit hours required)
- Humanities (1 course required)
- Language in the Humanities (1 course required)
- Quantitative Reasoning for B.S. or LAN 115 for B.A. (1 course required)
- Science, Math, & Technology (1 course required)
- Social Sciences (1 course required)
Exempt from Humanities Category due to disciplinary expertise gained in the major
To be eligible for IAI, at least one transfer course must have been articulated to an IAI core requirement. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for a complete list of IAI courses and policies. The Illinois Transferable General Education Core curriculum consists of 12 to 13 courses (37 to 41 hours of credit) within a five-category designation.
- Communication and Composition (3 courses required)
- A grade of C or better required in ENG 101 and 145 or equivalents
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Physical & Life Sciences (2 courses/7-8 hours required) Students must complete 1 life science and 1 physical science course; at least 1 course must have a lab.
- Humanities & Fine Arts (3 courses required) At least 1 humanities and 1 fine arts course required
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (3 courses required) Two different disciplines must be represented