Minimum required credit hours: 65
To be admitted to the R.N. to B.S.N. Sequence students must have completed the Associate Degree in Arts (A.A.) or an Associated Degree in Science (A.S.) or a specified portion of the IAI General Education Core Curriculum.
External Transfers into this sequence may use all of the following courses in combination to fulfill the IAI Life Science requirement: Microbiology- BSC 160 or BSC 260; Anatomy and Physiology I-BSC 181 or KNR 181/KNR 183; Anatomy and Physiology II-BSC 182 or KNR 182/KNR 184. This waiver is also fulfilled if the student completed a Microbiology and two Anatomy/Physiology courses that transfer into Illinois State University as electives.
Diploma school or Associate Degree nursing courses are “held in Escrow” for the student until successful completion of three specified Nursing upper-division courses: NUR 223, NUR 227, and NUR 236. Once these three courses have been successfully completed through enrollment, thirty-four (34) credits are placed on the student’s transcript for the following Nursing courses: NUR 229, NUR 231, NUR 314, NUR 316, NUR 317, and NUR 325.
Course Finder >
- 120 minimum total credit hours
- A minimum of 42 of the 120 total hours must be senior college hours (200-300 level courses)
- AMALI requirement (certain courses in General Education and/or major may fulfill the AMALI requirement)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Science degree must complete a B.S. - Science, Math, & Technology degree requirement (beyond the General Education requirements)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete a B.A. - foreign language degree requirement: LAN/FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/JPN/POR 115 (or equivalent)
- Some majors complete other types of degrees that do not include additional graduation requirements. For example, the Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. in Ed.) or the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.).
The complete General Education Program consists of 13 courses (39 semester hours). Because of laboratory or recitation requirements, some courses are listed as four or five credit hours in this catalog. All four or five hours will be credited toward graduation requirements, but only three hours will be credited in General Education for these courses. Depending on their major, students may be exempted from one General Education category (maximum of one course) because of disciplinary expertise gained in their major.
- Communication and Composition (2 courses required)
- COM 110 Communication as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- ENG 101 or ENG 101A10 Composition as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Natural Science/Natural Science Alternatives (2 courses required) Must complete 1 course from 2 different sciences.
- United States Traditions (1 course required)
- Individuals & Civic Life (1 course required)
- Fine Arts (1 course/3 credit hours required)
- Humanities (1 course required)
- Language in the Humanities (1 course required)
- Quantitative Reasoning for B.S. or LAN 115 for B.A. (1 course required)
- Science, Math, & Technology (1 course required)
- Social Sciences (1 course required)
To be eligible for IAI, at least one transfer course must have been articulated to an IAI core requirement. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for a complete list of IAI courses and policies. The Illinois Transferable General Education Core curriculum consists of 12 to 13 courses (37 to 41 hours of credit) within a five-category designation.
- Communication and Composition (3 courses required)
- A grade of C or better required in ENG 101 and 145 or equivalents
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Physical & Life Sciences (2 courses/7-8 hours required) Students must complete 1 life science and 1 physical science course; at least 1 course must have a lab.
- Humanities & Fine Arts (3 courses required) At least 1 humanities and 1 fine arts course required
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (3 courses required) Two different disciplines must be represented
External Transfers into this sequence may use all of the following courses in combination to fulfill the IAI Life Science requirement: Microbiology- BSC 160 or 260; Anatomy and Physiology I- BSC 181 or KNR 181 /183; Anatomy and Physiology II- BSC 182 or KNR 182 /184. This waiver is also fulfilled if the student completed a Microbiology and two Anatomy/Physiology courses that transfer into Illinois State University as electives.