Minimum required credit hours: 57
- PSY 111
- PSY 138
- PSY 200
- PSY 213
- PSY 223
- PSY 231
- PSY 233
- PSY 253
- PSY 263
- PSY 331
- PSY 340
- PSY 392
- ENG 145
Take 1 of the following courses
Take one Philosophy course
Take two (6 credit hours) additional 300-level Psychology elective
If a 3 credit hour class is transferred for PSY 111, a total of seven credit hours of Psychology electives are required. Please consult your academic advisor.
Take 2 laboratory science courses
Can include General Education courses
- PSY 290 (for 3 credits as a prerequisite) and PSY 390 with the same faculty member. PSY 390 must be taken during senior year. Passing both courses is required to complete the capstone.
- PSY 291 (for 3 credits as a prerequisite) and PSY 391 with the same faculty member. PSY 391 must be taken during senior year. Passing both courses is required to complete the capstone.
- PSY 395 and PSY 398 (for 3 credits) taken the same semester during senior year. The 2 courses are connected and passing PSY 398 is required to pass PSY 395. Passing both courses is required to complete the capstone .
- HON 285/286 or PSY 290 completed with an Honors Contract (for 3 credits as a prerequisite) and HON 395a03 (for 3 credits) with the same faculty member and presenting the thesis research at the Psychology Department Honors Colloquium. HON 395a03 must be taken during the senior year. Passing both courses is required to complete the capstone.
Not more than 16 hours of 100-level Psychology courses, or Psychology courses transferred from community colleges, may count toward the major
Course Finder >
- 120 minimum total credit hours
- A minimum of 42 of the 120 total hours must be senior college hours (200-300 level courses)
- AMALI requirement (certain courses in General Education and/or major may fulfill the AMALI requirement)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Science degree must complete a B.S. - Science, Math, & Technology degree requirement (beyond the General Education requirements)
- Students completing a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete a B.A. - foreign language degree requirement: LAN/FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/JPN/POR 115 (or equivalent)
- Some majors complete other types of degrees that do not include additional graduation requirements. For example, the Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. in Ed.) or the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (B.S.N.).
- College of Arts and Sciences foreign language requirement - LAN/FRE/GER/SPA/ITA/JPN/POR 111 and 112 (or equivalent)
- PSY 340 - B.S. - SMT
The complete General Education Program consists of 13 courses (39 semester hours). Because of laboratory or recitation requirements, some courses are listed as four or five credit hours in this catalog. All four or five hours will be credited toward graduation requirements, but only three hours will be credited in General Education for these courses. Depending on their major, students may be exempted from one General Education category (maximum of one course) because of disciplinary expertise gained in their major.
- Communication and Composition (2 courses required)
- COM 110 Communication as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- ENG 101 or ENG 101A10 Composition as Critical Inquiry (3 credit hours) - required for all students
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Natural Science/Natural Science Alternatives (2 courses required) Must complete 1 course from 2 different sciences.
- United States Traditions (1 course required)
- Individuals & Civic Life (1 course required)
- Fine Arts (1 course/3 credit hours required)
- Humanities (1 course required)
- Language in the Humanities (1 course required)
- Quantitative Reasoning for B.S. or LAN 115 for B.A. (1 course required)
- Science, Math, & Technology (1 course required)
- Social Sciences (1 course required)
- Exempt from Social Sciences Category due to disciplinary expertise gained in the major
- PSY 138 - Quantitative Reasoning
To be eligible for IAI, at least one transfer course must have been articulated to an IAI core requirement. Refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for a complete list of IAI courses and policies. The Illinois Transferable General Education Core curriculum consists of 12 to 13 courses (37 to 41 hours of credit) within a five-category designation.
- Communication and Composition (3 courses required)
- A grade of C or better required in ENG 101 and 145 or equivalents
- Mathematics (1 course required)
- Physical & Life Sciences (2 courses/7-8 hours required) Students must complete 1 life science and 1 physical science course; at least 1 course must have a lab.
- Humanities & Fine Arts (3 courses required) At least 1 humanities and 1 fine arts course required
- Social & Behavioral Sciences (3 courses required) Two different disciplines must be represented