University Naming Committee
A Presidential University Naming Committee, appointed by the President of the University, advises the President prior to the President’s making recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding the naming of facilities.
University facilities or entities may be named for donors who have made significant financial contributions to the University; notable alumni with close ties to the University; former employees of the University; distinguished former members of the Board of Trustees; and public persons of Illinois, nation or any country.
The full policy on university naming is 6.1.37 Facilities Naming Policy.
Workflow of Request
- Written proposals with an explanation of supporting reasons should be submitted to the Assistant to the President, for distribution to the appropriate Vice President.
- Proposals may originate from, but are not limited to, responsible persons within or outside the University community, or by initiative of the University Naming Committee or Vice President for University Advancement.
- Proposals for naming are referred to the University Naming Committee for review.
- The Committee presents their advice regarding the proposal to the President of the University by recommending approval or disapproval. Decisions regarding proposals will be communicated to the submitting person or group following the final review and comment by the President and Cabinet.
- The President may choose to submit the Committee recommendation of naming a facility or university entity to the Board of Trustees for final approval or modify the recommendation as deemed appropriate.
- Naming of facilities or university entities require the approval of the University Board of Trustees. Naming requests of a University entity other than a facility will be presented to the BOT as an information item only
Current Timeline for Making Requests
- UNC meets approximately one month prior to each scheduled BOT meeting in order to meet schedule for preparing associated BOT resolution/information items.
- Requests should be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the UNC meeting at which approval is being sought.
Office of the President
Assistant to the President
Interim Assistant to the President for Diversity and Inclusion
Academic Affairs and Provost
Aondover Tarhule (co-chair)
Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost
Office of General Counsel
Finance and Planning
Vice President for Finance and Planning
Director of Athletics
Vice President of Student Affairs
Student Government Association, President
Pat Vickerman (co-chair)
Vice President of University Advancement