- Applying concepts and analytical tools related to the agricultural market
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Computer literacy
- Team and individual working capability
- Time management skills
Career Industry Liaison
223 Bone Student Center
Being Successful in the Field
- Obtain volunteer, part-time, summer, internship, or co-op experience in field of study.
- For entry-level positions, a bachelor’s degree is sufficient.
- A master’s or doctoral degree is often necessary for advancement.
- Some federal and private agency work, consulting positions, and especially research positions require a graduate degree.
- Teacher certification is required for public school teaching and varies by state.
- Join a student club or student professional association to network and cultivate related academic interests.
- Conduct informational interviews or shadow professionals who have jobs that interest you.
- Student Affairs
- Secondary schools
- Colleges and universities
- Vocational and technical schools
- Obtain teacher certification for public school positions.
- Plan to earn a master’s degree to work in college student affairs or university administration.
- Earn a Ph.D. to obtain employment as a professor.
- Develop excellent writing and speaking skills. Learn to work well withall types of people. Develop strong interpersonal skills.
- Seek leadership positions in campus organizations related to agricultural science, natural resources, or agricultural education.
- Gain practical experience in the area of agriculture.
- Work with youth through volunteering or summer jobs with camps, 4-H programs, scouts, YMCA's,and other nonprofit organizations.
- Informal Education
- Agricultural Communication: Journalism, Public Relations, Electronic Media, Technical Writing
- Local, state and federal government including: Forestry Service, USDA, National and state parks and reserves
- Professional associations
- Agribusiness firms
- Financial institutions
- Scouting organizations, e.g. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
- Nature centers
- Foundations, museums, nature centers, zoos
- Nonprofit organizations
- Wildlife organizations
- Agricultural magazines and websites
- Newspapers and other publications
- Farm radio and television stations
- Advertising and public relations firms
- Gain relevant experience through internships, summer jobs, or volunteer positions.
- Earn a minor or take additional courses in area of interest such as communication, English, or business.
- Develop strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Learn to work well with various computer programs including desktop publishing.
- Participate in related student organizations and seek leadership positions.
- Work on the student newspaper to gain experience for agricultural communication positions.
- Develop physical stamina, resourcefulness, and outdoor skills for some informal education positions.
- Be willing to relocate.
- Agricultural Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Youth Development Education
- Cooperative Extension System (national)
- Extension services within states
- Gain experience in working with children and adults of varying ages.
- Participate as a volunteer or member of organizations such as 4-H or FFA and seek leadership roles.
- Develop strong communication skills, particularly public speaking and group presentation skills.
- Take courses in economics and community development.
- Develop computer skills.
- Earn a master’s degree to qualify for more positions.
- Be willing to live in rural communities and to travel within the county.
- Be prepared to work some evenings and weekends.
- Agriculture Construction
- Animal Nutritionist
- Animal Scientist
- Chemical Research
- Crop Scout
- Elevator Manager
- Environmental Planning
- Equipment Designer
- Extension Educator
- Farm Manager
- Feedlot Manager
- Field Research Technician
- Food Scientist
- Government Inspector
- Grain/Livestock Merchandiser
- Ingredient Purchaser
- Integrated PestManagement
- International Marketing
- Livestock Manager
- Logistics Manager
- Market Analyst
- Plant Pathologist
- Research Technician
- Safety Manager
- Sales and Marketing
- Technical Services
- Veterinary Medicine
Not what you're looking for?
Keyboard users, when results are available, use the up and down arrow keys to navigate and enter to select.