Notice: Array to string conversion in /mnt/ilstu-webstore/sites/illinoisstate.edu/write/cache/54/54384524152abc91b42891e541618533002d5c2aff6a302a53bdf2f3402808eb.php on line 63
- Network! Talk with people working in the field to find out about jobs and opportunities.
- Get involved with several dance studios, dance companies, and productions in any way you can.
- Be prepared to take class often and to enhance your performance and choreographic skills.
- Be prepared to move to a metropolitan area where more opportunities may exist.
- Volunteer with fundraising efforts for the arts.
- Complete an internship or an apprenticeship with a local dance company and organization.
- Join professional groups as an opportunity to make contacts.
- Invest in practicing different somatic approaches to keep your physical instrument healthy and to insure longevity in your performance career.
When thinking about a career in dance, it is common to envision a professional dancer or dance teacher. These are wonderful options, but only speak to a fraction of the numerous possibilities within the ever expanding field of dance.
Through a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum, dance majors will be prepared for a variety of professional pursuits upon graduation. Certain career paths may require studies in additional areas, and through consistent advisement and communication, students can construct an academic plan that speaks to their future goals.
Below is a list of dance-related careers to consider.
Performance, Choreography, and Teaching
- Dancer/Dance Artist
- Technical Director
- Rehearsal Director/Ballet Mistress/Ballet Master
- Artistic Director
- Dance Teacher/Educator (community, private business, public school)
- Studio Owner/School Director/Business Manager
- Dance History Teacher/Dance Historian
- Dance Research/Performance Studies
- Dance Notator
- Movement Analyst
- Dance Professor (Higher Education)
- Musical Theatre (Choreographer/Performer)
Traditional Stage Production
- Set Designer
- Lighting Designer
- Costume Designer
- Sound Designer
- Stage Manager/Stagehand
- Tour Manager
- Makeup Artist
- Booking Agent/Ticket Services
- Box Office Manager
Therapeutic and Somatic Practices
- Physical Therapist
- Dance Trainer/Sports Medicine/Exercise Science
- Dance Therapist/Movement Therapist
- Kinesiology Specialist
- Pilates Instructor
- Alexander Technique Teacher
- Barteniff Fundamentals/Movement Analysts
- Feldenkrais Practitioner
- Yoga Instructor
- Massage Therapist
- Development Director
- Program Manager/Company Manager
- Marketing Director
- Public Relations Director
- Grant Writer
- Outreach Coordinator
- Executive Director/Administrative Director
Writing and Dance Studies
- Dance Critic
- Graphic Designer
- Dance Photographer
- Dance Wear Companies
- Dance Competitions/Conventions
- Studio/Stage Equipment Sales
- Software/App Development for Dance
- Film/Video Production
- Video Technology and Editing
- Media Development
- Collaborative Musician/Accompanist/Composer