Mathematics Teacher Education
As a student in the Mathematics Education program at Illinois State University, you will be challenged, tested, supported, and you will be rewarded.
You will be challenged to extend your knowledge and experience in mathematics through courses taken by students completing other sequences within the department's major, as well as through courses in education. You will become a mathematician, and you will become a teacher.
As a Mathematics Education student, you will be tested as you strive to meet the standards of excellence established for those becoming mathematics teachers.
At Illinois State, support comes from your professors, your advisor, your fellow students, and many others who play a role in the success of the program.
You will be rewarded, not only through a great sense of accomplishment in earning your undergraduate degree and teacher certification, but also through the many career opportunities that await newly certified mathematics teachers. Having a degree in mathematics will also open many doors if you choose to do something other than teach.
Point of Pride
Those studying to be secondary mathematics teachers can participate in a unique National Science Foundation-sponsored research experience, which invites Chicago Public Schools students to Illinois State for a week to do mathematics research guided by our students.
Why study Mathematics Teacher Education?
Mathematics teachers help students become the critical thinkers we need in our society. Our teacher prep program is among the best in the country and will prepare you to serve as a future educator. Below are some features of our program that help create successful math teachers:
- Merit-based scholarships for our math education majors
- Undergraduate research opportunities for publication and presentation at conferences
- We have the largest cohort of teacher candidates among the American Association for Colleges of Teacher Ed reporting institutions
- One in five first-year teachers hired in Illinois public schools are graduates of our program
- Mathematics Education courses are limited in class size so students can receive individualized attention
- Our Mathematics Education Club connects students with both social and professional networks
- Our dorms include a mathematics lifestyle floor, where math majors can be part of a community with common interests
Come see campus and meet with campus representatives either in person or virtually. Optional chances to meet with academic department, honors, and financial aid.