- Logical Thinker
- Strong numerical computational ability
- Ability to analyze, interpret data
- Problem solver
- Critical thinker
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Works well in teams
- A bachelor's degree is often sufficient for entry-level positions, but an advanced degree may open the door to more upper-level opportunities. Pair a strong background in mathematics with another technical discipline such as computer science or engineering.
- Conduct informational interviews with professionals in areas of interest to enhance knowledge and make contacts.
- Stay informed of new developments and current trends in the field.
- Gain experience through volunteering, internships, and part-time or summer jobs.
- Develop competencies in a specific area of interest.
- Supplement curriculum with courses in business, economics, computers, or statistics for increased job opportunities.
- Maintain a high grade point average.
- Build relationships with faculty for career information, contacts, and letters of recommendation.
- Join related student professional associations and seek leadership positions.
- Data Processing
- Quality Control
- Statistical Processing Control
- Environmental Analysis
- Industries including: Manufacturing, Transportation, Aerospace, Communications, Machinery, Electrical equipment, Pharmaceuticals, and Other private industries
- Consulting firms
- Note that greatest demand is for applied mathematicians with skills in computer science, electronics design and theory, statistics and probability.
- Develop computer and research skills.
- Learn to use relevant software packages.
- Earn a master's degree in math, business, or related field for advanced positions or for consulting jobs.
- Maintain excellent G.P.A. for graduate/professional school admission.
- Gain relevant experience through internships, volunteering, summer, or part-time jobs.
- Develop good oral and written communication skills. Learn to work well in teams.
Federal agencies including Defense, Labor, Justice, Agriculture, Health and Human Services, Transportation, Commerce, Treasury, NASA, and Library of Congress State agencies involving research and problem-solving teams
- Become familiar with government hiring procedures.
- Make contacts through involvement in campus, local, or state politics.
- Obtain internship with local, state, or federal government.
- Join related professional organizations.
- Maintain a high grade point average.
- Data Collection
- Information Analysis
- Market research firms
- Consumer goods manufacturing firms
- Develop good oral and written communication skills.
- Acquire a business minor.
- Volunteer to assist a professor with research.
- Become a student member of the American Marketing Association.
- Assist with canvassing/phone interviewing for charities or political campaigns.
- Complete a market research internship.
- Branch Management
- Credit Lending
- Commercial banks
- Regional banks
- Savings and loan associations
- Credit unions
- Complete an internship in a financial institution.
- Develop good interpersonal skills.
- Obtain a business minor.
- Develop excellent computer skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Become the financial officer or treasurer of a campus organization.
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Colleges and universities
- Obtain appropriate state licensure and/or certification for public school teaching positions.
- Volunteer to teach, supervise, or tutor with organizations such as Big Brother/Sister, YMCA, or churches.
- Develop excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Acquire a master's degree or Ph.D. for teaching positions at the college or university level.
- Actuary Administrator
- Aerodynamics Specialist
- Claims Adjustor
- Consumer Credit/Loan Officer
- Contract Administrator
- Database Administrator
- Educational Mathematics Specialist
- External Auditor
- Financial Investment Analyst
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Investment Banking Analyst
- Market Research Analyst
- Math Teacher
- Mathematics Editor
- Operations Research Analyst
- Production Manager
- Research Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Technical Writer
- Trade Associate
- Treasury Management Specialist
- Weapons Consultant
- Weapons Engineer
- Weight Analyst