September 1 - October 1, February 1 - March 1
To apply, students must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and above.
Students who are currently a declared major in the School of Communication and are looking to switch their major to another communication major need to complete the Internal Major Transfer Request Form. Contact your academic advisor for a copy of this form and to discuss the process in detail.
Write Goals Essay (2-3 pages, double spaced)
Essay Prompt: Provide a vision for your future career and explain how this major is best equipped to help you get there.
Research the major and provide your finding of:
- Career opportunities in the field
- Necessary skills for success
Connect your goals to your findings. How will this major help you reach your goals? What can you bring to the major?
- Make sure the major aligns with your goals
- Discuss your academic performance as a student, including areas where you excel and areas that are challenging
- Explain relevant experiences (internships, RSOs, and COM classes)
- Make a clear connection from major to career and demonstrate a passion
- Have multiple drafts reviewed (proofread)
- Demonstrate your best writing ability and make sure your essay does not have grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors
- Keep within the three-page limit
- Do not provide your biography or a lengthy description of the major
Choose your desired program/sequence and complete all sections of the online application form. Students can only apply for one major/sequence during each application period.
Applications are reviewed by a committee of Communication faculty members in each area. The Faculty Selection Committee base their decisions upon the following criteria:
- GPA & grade trends: a typical successful candidate is academically above average
- Quality and accuracy of Goals Essay
- Career goals are consistent with the major
Selection decisions will be made approximately three weeks after the deadline. A response will be sent to each student through their ISU email account.
If admitted, you should schedule an appointment with your designated academic advisor.
Meeting the minimum requirements and going through the application steps does not guarantee you will be admitted.
Faculty decisions are final and cannot be reversed.
Once the selection responses are sent, the School has filled all available seats and cannot accept any more students.