Characteristics of risk management and insurance professionals include:
- Strong critical thinker, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication and negotiation skills.
- A focus on the customer and relationship management.
- High ethical standards, strong organizational skills, and an eye for accuracy and detail.
- Ability to collect data and make sound predictions.
- Ability to research and explain market phenomena.
- The Katie School of Insurance and Risk Management helps provide a number of cocurricular opportunities for students to engage with insurance industry professionals including international internships, a mentorship program, and on campus speakers. These experiences will help identify the specific skill set required for each unique role in the risk management and insurance industry.
- You can increase your employability by pursuing professional designations (such as the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter or Associate in Risk Management) or by pursuing internships to build experience.
Most businesses inherently have significant exposures to financial loss including direct physical damage to owned property or potential legal liability for injuries to a third party. Therefore, nearly all businesses have a need for expertise in risk management and insurance to manage the financial consiquences associated with these and other loss exposures.
In personal insurance, the type of loss exposures of individuals tend to be similar (e.g., home, auto, life, health). However, in commercial insurance, the needs of businesses are more complex, requiring a comprehensive analysis to identify sources of potential loss and the various techniques that can be used to manage those risks.
- Claims Adjuster/Analyst
- Commercial Insurance Broker
- Fraud Detection
- Insurance Agent
- Loss Control Specialist
- Risk Management
- Claims Adjuster/Examiner
- Cybersecurity Specialist
- Employee Benefits Specialist
- Financial Planner
- Insurance Broker
- Public Adjuster
- Risk Manager
- Cost Estimators
- Criminal Justice
- Fire Inspectors
- Property Appraisers