Applying to Illinois State
Applying by our priority deadline is encouraged for best consideration for your academic program and for scholarships. Start your application today!
Audition and Enrollment Process
- Apply to Illinois State University
- Choose an audition/interview date
- Receive a confirmation email from School of Theatre and Dance
- Attend audition/interview
- Receive a decision within two weeks
- Submit your enrollment deposit and become a Redbird
Scholarship notification will take place the first week of March.
If you would like to audit a class, meet with faculty, or if you have a question about the enrollment process, email Cristen Monson.
Interview for a Scholarship
If you wish to interview for a School of Theatre and Dance scholarship, please select an interview date within your application for admission. Bring the following to your interview:
- A resume detailing your theatre production experiences
- A recent photo
- A one-page typed essay describing your interest in Theatre
Please come to the interview prepared to discuss your essay, your experiences in theatre, and any additional experiences you may have had working with young people. (Note that your essay for the School of Theatre and Dance is separate from the personal statement required by the Office of Admissions.)
On interview day, you will attend an interview with Theatre Education faculty. There will be a brief meeting of all those interviewing. Faculty and administration will introduce themselves and answer questions.
Those interviewing will be sent to a waiting room where current students will talk about the program and answer questions while individual interviews take place. Interviews will take place in the order the application is received.
2022-2023 Interview Dates
Saturday December 3, 2022 (all majors)
Saturday January 28th, 2023 (Theatre only)
Saturday February 11th, 2023 (all majors)
Saturday February 25th, 2023 (Theatre only)
Saturday April 1, 2023 (All majors) Not for scholarship
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Theatre Teacher Education major contingent on admission by Illinois State University.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
Middle 50% GPA
2.77 — 3.69
Centennial West 203
Required Courses for Admission
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Acting I & II (THE 110& THE 113)
- Fundamentals of Theatre I & II (THE 103 & THE 104)
- Introduction to Costume (THE 130)
- Stagecraft (THE 160)
- Fundamentals of Psychology (PSY 110)
- Educational Psychology (PSY 215)
I Want to Learn More
Request Information Form