Applying to Illinois State
Applying to the Program
The School of Theatre and Dance applies the same academic standards as those required for admission to Illinois State University. There is no separate ACT or Grade Point Average requirement for admission to the School of Theatre and Dance.
Any student accepted by Illinois State University may declare a major in Theatre Teacher Education. No audition or interview is required, although Theatre Teacher Education majors may arrange an interview for departmental scholarship consideration.
Students must apply to Illinois State University prior to interviewing for a Theatre Education scholarship within the School of Theatre and Dance.
2018-2019 Interview Dates
- November 3, 2018: Illinois State University Campus
- November 16-17, 2018: Dallas, TX (Collin College)
- January 11, 2019: Illinois High School Theatre Festival (Champaign-Urbana, IL)
- January 19, 2019: Chicago, IL
- February 16, 2019: Illinois State University Campus
- March 1-3, 2019: South Eastern Theatre Conference (Knoxville, TN)
- March 2, 2019: Illinois State University Campus
Applying for a Scholarship
If you wish to interview for a School of Theatre and Dance scholarship in Theatre Teacher Education, please select an interview date after completing your application for admission. Prior to your interview date, please submit:
- A resume detailing your theatre production experiences.
- A recent photo.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A one-page typed essay describing your reasons for wanting to be a teacher.
Please come to the interview prepared to discuss your essay, your experiences in theatre and any additional experiences you may have had working with young people. (Note that your essay for the School of Theatre and Dance is separate from the personal statement required by the Office of Admissions.)
Your materials should be mailed to:
School of Theatre and Dance
Campus Box 5700
Illinois State University
Normal, IL 61790-5700
Attention: Theatre Teacher Education
Deadlines and Review Dates
Students are accepted into the Theatre Teacher Education major contingent on admission by Illinois State University.
School of Theatre and Dance scholarship awards are announced after March 1.
It is strongly recommended that students meet the Basic Skills Requirement prior to enrollment. Visit the College of Education's website for details on the Test of Academic Proficiency or acceptable ACT or SAT scores which can be used to meet this requirement.