International Admission Requirements
International students seeking direct admission must satisfy all application requirements for incoming freshmen, transfer students, or graduate students, including the application fee, as well as the additional requirements listed below. Additional Pathway and Academic English programs are available for those needing extra support with their English skills.
The University requires the following documentation for all international students:
- Official academic records, from all schools attended (in original language and an official word for word English translation)
- English proficiency score
If accepted to the University, we will also require a copy of your passport to ensure correct spelling on official immigration materials.
International freshman students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores unless they have attended a U.S. high school for three or more years. However, submitting SAT or ACT scores may make you eligible for scholarships at the University.
- Prerequisite college coursework, for some academic programs
- Good academic standing at the last college attended
- GRE or GMAT scores, if applicable to your program
- Degree certificate and/or diploma, if applicable in your country
- Additional supporting documents, if applicable to your program
View more information about your intended graduate program and the requirements.
Wonsook Kim College of Fine Arts
Students interested in majors within the Wonsook Kim College of Fine Arts should review additional admission requirements for those specific programs.
Declaration of Finances
Federal regulations require proof of financial resources to pay for the first year of study at Illinois State. An electronic bank statement or letter dated within 6 months of acceptance is required.
Non-Native English Speaking Countries
If your country of origin is from a non-native English speaking country, you must submit either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Duolingo English Test that you’ve taken within the past two years.
We require the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL internet-based (iBT): 79
- TOEFL Essentials: 8.5
- IELTS overall band score: 6.5
- Duolingo: 105
Some graduate programs require higher minimum scores for admission.
Scanned test scores can be sent electronically to the Office of Admissions for an admissions decision. If accepted, your official test scores must be sent to Illinois State directly from the TOEFL or IELTS website or confirmed official by the Office of Admissions.
English Proficiency for Teaching Assistance
The State of Illinois requires non-native English speaking teaching assistants to show proof of English Proficiency. The minimum criteria for English proficiency are:
- TOEFL iBT minimum speaking score of 26
- TOEFL Essentials minimum speaking score of 9
- IELTS score of 8.0 overall
- Passing score on the Test of Spoken English (TSE) prior to arrival on campus
Note: Duolingo English Test does not meet the requirements for teaching assistants.
English Waiver Guidelines
Waiver Eligible Anglophone Countries
- Irish Republic
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales)
- African (Anglophone): Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leon, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
- Commonwealth Caribbean (Anglophone): Antigua, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago
Acceptance of Three-Year Degrees from India
The University will accept three-year degrees from universities in India if:
- The degree is from an A or better NAAC accreditation CGPA and an average percentage mark at graduation of 55 percent or higher
- The degree is from an B or better NAAC accreditation CGPA and an average percentage mark at graduation of 60 percent or higher (i.e., second division or higher)
- The student has completed a post graduate year in the same field or a master’s degree in any field.
Global Access to Online Degree Programs
When applying, international students applying to a fully online program must agree to our international online and hybrid programs disclosure and disclaimer statements. Due to limited on-campus courses, immigration documentation cannot be issued for students seeking F-1 or J-1 status.