International Admission Requirements
International students must satisfy all application requirements for incoming freshmen, transfer students, or graduate students, including the application fee, as well as the additional requirements listed below.
The University requires the following documentation for all international students:
- Official academic records, from all schools attended (in original language and an official word for word English translation)
- English proficiency score
If accepted to the University, we will also require a copy of your passport to ensure correct spelling on official immigration materials.
International freshman students are not required to submit SAT or ACT scores unless they have attended a U.S. high school for three or more years. However, submitting SAT or ACT scores may make you eligible for scholarships at the University.
- Prerequisite college coursework, for some academic programs
- Good academic standing at the last college attended
- GRE or GMAT scores, if applicable to your program
- Degree certificate and/or diploma, if applicable in your country
- Additional supporting documents, if applicable to your program
View more information about your intended graduate program and the requirements.
Declaration of Finances
Federal regulations require proof of financial resources to pay for the first year of study at Illinois State. An electronic bank statement or letter dated within 6 months of acceptance is required.
Non-Native English Speaking Countries
If your country of origin is from a non-native English speaking country, you must submit either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) from a test you’ve taken within the past two years.
We require the following minimum scores:
- TOEFL internet-based (iBT): 79
- IELTS overall band score: 6.5
Some graduate programs require higher minimum scores for admission.
Scanned test scores can be sent electronically to the Office of Admissions for an admissions decision. If accepted, your official test scores must be sent to Illinois State directly from the TOEFL or IELTS website or confirmed official by the Office of Admissions.
English Waiver Guidelines
Native English Speaking Countries
If your country of citizenship has English as its only official language, the TOEFL or IELTS exam may be waived in the admission process.
English as a Medium of Instruction
If your most recent degree was completed in a country other than the U.S. with the medium of instruction as English, your English proficiency requirement may be waived.
The transcript must show:
- Medium of instruction as English
- Your degree was completed within two years preceding admission
U.S. Degree Completion
If you are completing or completed coursework from a U.S. college or university and your country of origin is non-native English speaking, your English proficiency requirement may be waived.
The transcript must show:
- A minimum of two years in full time coursework
- Completion of coursework must be within two years preceding admission
Acceptance of Three-Year Degrees from India
The University will accept three-year degrees from universities in India if:
- The degree is from an A or better NAAC accreditation CGPA and an average percentage mark at graduation of 55 percent or higher
- The degree is from an B or better NAAC accreditation CGPA and an average percentage mark at graduation of 60 percent or higher (i.e., second division or higher)
- The student has completed a post graduate year in the same field or a master’s degree in any field.