Overall review of multiple communication avenues
Task Force Recommendation: Create and invest in affirming spaces for diverse students
Task Force Project: Overall review of multiple communication avenues:
- Conduct an overall review of diversity in publications and outgoing messages via web and social media.
- Conduct an internal scan of language (i.e. pronouns), messaging, images to make an intentional effort to include people from diverse backgrounds and diverse perspectives
Champion: Brian Beam, Megan Rolfs
Implementation Team Actions
- Throughout 2018, Communications Graduate Student, Kameron Williams, under the direction and supervision of Dr. Pete Smudde performed a communications review of university publications including Admissions materials and print publications with the widest distribution. The communication pieces were evaluated from a Diversity and Inclusion (D/I) perspective. A report was finalized and submitted to University Marketing and Communications.
- University publications including Illinois State Alumni Magazine, Redbird Scholar, and Redbird Impact were reviewed by an internal Communications Task Force over the summer of 2019. Areas for improvement were shared in a final report and implementation is underway. Actions include the removal of the letters to the editor section from the print publication, infusing D/I perspectives throughout each publication, better reflection of underrepresented populations in imagery, use of diverse focus groups, updating of editorial documents to reflect the values of Educate Connect Elevate: Illinois State, and D/I training for University Marketing and Communications and campus communicators.
- Implementation of the Communications Task Force report has started with some recommendations put into action immediately. Fulfillment of the recommendations is ongoing with implementation activities continuing throughout FY20 and FY21.