Develop specialized staff to serve as "Retention Specialists"
Task Force Recommendation: Close the Gap in Retention and Persistence to Graduation
Task Force Project: Develop specialized staff to serve as "Retention Specialists"
Champions: Katy Killian, Wendi Whitman, Amy Hurd
Implementation Team Actions
- In 2018-2019 University College had 6 Peer Academic Coaches; in 2019-2020 this was increased to 10.
- In the first 7 weeks of the 2019-2020 academic year, there were 56 intake appointments for coaching. This is more than the entire 2018-2019 academic year.
- Peer Academic Coaches meet with their students weekly to provide individual coaching TO develop and refine academic skills, recognize learning strengths, and develop personalized strategies for academic success.
- Developed a Returning Redbirds program where 126 FTIC’s who were not in contact with their advisors were identified. University College Retention Specialists went to their residence hall and convinced 41 of them to attend weekly study tables. Those completing the program will receive a book scholarship.
- Gather data on benchmark and aspirational retention programs