Diverse speakers, activities, and writers that is accessible to the student body
Task Force Recommendation: Create an Inclusive Classroom
Task Force Project: Diversify the classroom experience by bringing in diverse speakers, activities, and books/writers while ensuring that material is accessible to the student body at large.
Champion: Yojanna Cuenca-Carlino
Implementation Team Actions
- African American Studies began its first-ever programming by bringing in a speaker panel, and also
hosting the author of a new book about the incredible life of former Illinois State faculty member Mildred
The Speaker Series at Illinois State celebrated the works of diversity scholarship, including:
- Professor of Critical Race Theory Adrienne Dixson as the keynote for Black History Month.
- Deaf community ambassador Nyle DiMarco and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Muhammad Yunus.
- The ambassador for the #BlackLivesMatter Network Janaya Khan addressed the annual Women’s and
Gender Studies Symposium.
- Independent Spirit Award-winning actress and author Gabourey Sidibe highlighted the Women’s History
- Sonia Manzano headlined the Fall Latino Cultural Dinner.