Evaluate inclusivity in campus traditions, such as Homecoming, Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Siblings Weekend, etc.
Task Force Recommendation: Increase Awareness, Institutional Responses, and Office Capacity
Task Force Project: Evaluate inclusivity in campus traditions, such as Homecoming, Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Siblings Weekend, etc.
Champion: Amelia Noel-Elkins, Doris Groves
Implementation Team Actions:
- After an extensive review of Preview, University College revamped the morning of the second day of Preview to include a presentation entitled “Redbird Community.” Campus partners in Housing, Event Management/Hospitality, Health Services, and Student Accounts all agreed to forgo their sessions in Preview to make room for this program.
- Training of Preview Guides was revamped to include a focus on diversity and inclusion.
- For the 2017 Preview, the new Redbird Community session was scheduled with video showcasing the variety of community-building opportunities available to students.
- Dean of Students Office is currently leading an assessment to determine the feelings and attitudes of marginalized students and non-marginalized students regarding ISU’s Homecoming.
- Activities planned with ISU Black Colleagues Association, Latin@ Alumni Network, LGBTQA Alumni.
- Homecoming Day bus route adjusted provide additional accessibility reserved space for several affinity groups.
- University College will evaluate the Preview session evaluations immediately after the conclusion of Preview 2017 in planning for the 2018 program.
- Awaiting the final report of the assessment conducted by Dean of Students. Will evaluate to identify additional needs and opportunities.