Incentivize training that promotes diversity
Task Force Recommendation: Create an Inclusive Classroom
Task Force Project: Incentivize faculty and staff to participate in training that promotes diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and cultural competency in the classroom.
Champion: Yojanna Cuenca-Carlino, Claire Lamonica, Janice Boneville, Angell Howard
Implementation Team Actions
- Surveying faculty and staff with respect to their knowledge, confidence, and practice of inclusive and culturally responsive teaching.
- Surveying students to identify their suggestions of what instructor need to support student learning and growth
- Conducting focus groups to explore perceived needs for professional development to support teaching and to promote student success among our diverse student body.
- Collecting data on how to reward faculty for engaging in or delivering professional development activities
- Developing a set of recommendations for short- and long-term initiatives to support professional development activities, especially those that enhance an inclusive and culturally responsive learning and work environment.
- Established a Culturally Responsive Learning Grant program to support learning activities that promote students' cultural competency in intentionally redesigned courses.
- Revised New Faculty Orientation to include an interactive session on Culturally Responsive Teaching.
Classes offered in Fall 2019
Stop Sending All Your Black Students to Me (10/3/19)
Courageous Conversations (10/31/19)
Gen Z (12/9/19)
- Office of the Provost plans to begin implementing professional development trainings
- OEOA plans to expand resources information on the website.
- Continue programming through Human Resources and the Office of Student affairs for faculty and staff.