Art - Graphic Design
With a focus on creative problem-solving skills, typography, and image creation, you will be well prepared to enter the competitive field of Graphic Design.
Students graduating from the Graphic Design sequence enter successful careers in design studios, advertising agencies, and corporate and institutional design offices. These graduates design communications for applications on the web, video, and various multimedia applications as well as for traditional print-based media.
Study in the program develops an understanding of perceptual theory, typography, layout, illustration and interactive options within the field. Following the basic art foundation courses, the Graphic Design sequence introduces students to various technical skills including computer software applications. The cohesive sequencing of courses allows the student to build skills and knowledge upon a strong fundamental core towards a highly sophisticated level of work that successfully combines type and image into creative visual communication.
Point of Pride
Students benefit from the Wonsook Kim School of Art’s strong relationship with University Galleries in nearby Uptown Normal, which hosts internationally recognized exhibitions throughout the year.
Why study Art - Graphic Design?After graduation, Wonsook Kim School of Art students take on a variety of careers as artists, curators, designers, educators, critics, scholars, conservators and writers. Our alumni continue to be a part of the Wonsook Kim School of Art after they leave campus, and we continue to harness professional relationships and networking connections between them and our current students.
Applying to Illinois State
New freshmen will initially apply to the Art major. Students interested in this sequence will submit a five-piece admissions portfolio to the Wonsook Kim School of Art upon The University accepting the admissions application. While in the middle of Graphic Design II, students can choose to continue pursing BA/BS in Graphic Design or apply to the BFA Graphic Design sequence.
Transfer students, please reach out to academic advisors.
Applying to BFA Graphic Design
The BFA Graphic Design sequence in the School of Art at Illinois State University is a competitive and rewarding experience in design. A wide range of courses challenges students and provides experience with creative problem-solving skills, typography and image creation, design process and methodology, interactivity, design history, cultural awareness, independent design research, and more.
Students wanting to study in the BFA Graphic Design Sequence must have a major and cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and demonstrate competency through a review of their digital portfolio. The portfolio review will occur each spring to allow students to continue in the BFA sequence the following fall. Graphic Design applicants will be prospective transfer students or ISU students who either are in progress of completing or have completed Graphic Design II.
Digital Portfolio Format
Content to include in the portfolio should be eight to ten projects from graphic design classes and two to three projects from several possible categories (client-based work, personal graphic design projects, or work from any other art classes such as photography, sculpture, or printmaking). See a sample portfolio.
Format the content into:
- Cover page: Name, email address, current school, and semester of application
- Statement of intent: explain why you are interested in the BFA in Graphic Design program.
- Table of contents: Name of the project, project circumstance (which design class, art class, client)
- One page for a text introduction per project: Include title of project, class or client, semester and year, software/materials used, dimensions, and a brief description up to 100 words. (Any necessary links such as YouTube and Vimeo may be added here as well.)
- Up to two more pages for content per project: Showcase the project through images. Maximum of two images on a page, maximum of five images for each project.
Digital Portfolio Submission
Once you have submitted your application, including your application fee payment or waiver, you will be able to submit your portfolio through your portal.
- Email your PDF portfolio to GraphicDesign@IllinoisState.edu
- The subject heading of your email must be: BFA Graphic Design Portfolio Review Spring XXXX **.
- Your PDF must be a single, multi-page PDF, 20MB maximum
- Your PDF must be named as: YourLastName-YourFirstName-BFAPortfolio-SpringXXXX.pdf