Applying to Illinois State
New freshmen will initially apply to the Art major. Students interested in this sequence will submit a five-piece admissions portfolio to the Wonsook Kim School of Art upon The University accepting the admissions application. While in the middle of Graphic Design II, students can choose to apply to the Graphic Design sequence.
For readmitted students only. Students interested in this program will apply to Art, then be asked for more specific information as current students to gain admission to the sequence.
Applying to Graphic Design
The Graphic Design sequence in the Wonsook Kim School of Art at Illinois State University is a competitive and rewarding experience in design. A wide range of courses challenges students and provides experience with creative problem-solving skills, typography, image creation, interactivity, design history, cultural awareness, and more.
Students wanting to study in the Graphic Design Sequence must have a major and cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better, and demonstrate competency through a review of their digital portfolio. Graphic Design applicants will be prospective transfer or Illinois State students who either are in progress of completing or have completed Graphic Design II.
Digital Portfolio Format
Content to include in the portfolio should be eight to 10 projects from graphic design classes and two to three projects from several possible categories (client-based work, personal graphic design projects, or work from any other art classes such as photography, sculpture, or printmaking). See a sample portfolio.
Format the content into:
- Cover page: Name, email address, current school, and semester of application
- Table of contents: Name of the project, project circumstance (which design class, art class, client)
- One page for a text introduction per project: Include title of project, class or client, semester and year, software/materials used, dimensions, and a brief description up to 100 words. (Any necessary links such as YouTube and Vimeo may be added here as well.)
- Up to two more pages for content per project: Showcase the project through images. Maximum of two images on a page, maximum of five images for each project.
Digital Portfolio Submission
Once you have submitted your application, including your application fee payment or waiver, you will be able to submit your portfolio through your portal.
- Your PDF must be a single, multi-page PDF, 10MB maximum
- Your PDF must be named as: YourLastName-YourFirstName-YourApplicationTerm.pdf (i.e., Redbird-Reggie-Summer 2020.pdf)
Required Courses for Admission
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Visual Thinking: 2-D Fundamentals (ART 103)
- Visual Thinking: Drawing Fundamentals (ART 104)
- Visual Thinking: 3-D Fundamentals (ART 109)
- Survey of Art I & II (ART 155 & 156)
- Graphic Design I (ART 226)
- Photography I (ART 235)
Portfolio required for admission.