Applying to Illinois State
Students interested in the Graphic Design sequence will submit a five-piece admissions portfolio to the School of Art upon the University accepting the admissions application. After being admitted to the School of Art as an Art major, students can choose to apply directly to the Graphic Design sequence through a separate portfolio review by the Graphic Design faculty.
Graphic Design Digital Portfolio Guidelines
The Graphic Design sequence in the School of Art at Illinois State University is a competitive and rewarding experience in design. A wide range of courses challenges students and provides experience with creative problem-solving skills, typography, image creation, interactivity, design history, cultural awareness and more.
Students wanting to study in the Graphic Design Sequence must have a major and cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better, and demonstrate competency through a review of their digital portfolio. Graphic Design applicants will be prospective transfer or ISU students who either are in progress of completing or have completed Graphic Design II.
Digital Portfolio Format
Content to include in the portfolio should be 8 to 10 projects from graphic design classes and 2 to 3 projects from several possible categories (any other art classes such as photography, sculpture, printmaking AND/OR client-based or personal graphic design work). See a sample portfolio.
Format the content into:
- Cover page: Name, email address, current school, Spring 2019
- Table of contents: Name of the project, project circumstance (which design class, art class, client)
- One page for a text introduction per project: Include title of project, class or client, semester and year, software/materials used, dimensions, and a brief description up to 100 words. (Any necessary links, i.e. YouTube and Vimeo, may be added here as well.)
- Up to two more pages for content per project: Showcase the project through images. (Maximum of 3 images on a page, maximum of 5 images for each project.)
Digital Portfolio Submission
Email your PDF portfolio to Peter Bushell, Graphic Design Area Coordinator, email@example.com.
- The subject heading of your email must be: “Graphic Design Portfolio Review Spring 2019”
- Your attached PDF must be a single multi-page PDF, 10MB maximum
- Your PDF must be named as: YourLastName–YourFirstName–Spring 2019
Digital Portfolio Deadline
Submit by 5 pm Sunday, March 3, 2019.
Required Courses for Admission
Recommended Courses for Admission
To find the course equivalencies at an Illinois community college, please review our Course Articulation Guides.
- Visual Thinking: 2-D Fundamentals (ART 103)
- Visual Thinking: Drawing Fundamentals (ART 104)
- Visual Thinking: 3-D Fundamentals (ART 109)
- Survey of Art I & II (ART 155 & 156)
- Graphic Design I (ART 226)
- Photography I (ART 235)
Portfolio required for admission.