For readmitted students only. Students interested in this program will apply to Art, then be asked for more specific information as current students to gain admission to the sequence.
Graphic Design Digital Portfolio Guidelines
The Graphic Design sequence in the School of Art at Illinois State University is a competitive and rewarding experience in design. A wide range of courses challenges students and provides experience with creative problem-solving skills, typography, image creation, interactivity, design history, cultural awareness and more.
Students wanting to study in the Graphic Design Sequence must have a major and cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better, and demonstrate competency through a review of their digital portfolio. Graphic Design applicants will be prospective transfer or ISU students who either are in progress of completing or have completed Graphic Design II.
Digital Portfolio Format
Content to include in the portfolio should be 8 to 10 projects from graphic design classes and 2 to 3 projects from several possible categories (any other art classes such as photography, sculpture, printmaking AND/OR client-based or personal graphic design work). See a sample portfolio.
Format the content into:
- Cover page: Name, email address, current school, Spring 2018
- Table of contents: Name of the project, project circumstance (which design class, art class, client)
- One page for a text introduction per project: Include title of project, class or client, semester and year, software/materials used, dimensions, and a brief description up to 100 words. (Any necessary links, i.e. YouTube and Vimeo, may be added here as well.)
- Up to two more pages for content per project: Showcase the project through images. (Maximum of 3 images on a page, maximum of 5 images for each project.)
Digital Portfolio Submission
Email your PDF portfolio to Peter Bushell, Graphic Design Area Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The subject heading of your email must be: “Graphic Design Portfolio Review Spring 2018”
- Your attached PDF must be a single multi-page PDF, 10MB maximum
- Your PDF must be named as: YourLastName–YourFirstName–Spring 2018
Digital Portfolio Deadline
Submit by 5 pm Sunday, March 4, 2018.
Portfolio Review Sessions (2017-2018)
All portfolio review sessions are open to both freshman and transfer applicants.
Applications valid for Spring and Fall 2018
- September 18: Ensures consideration for advanced registration
- October 9: Regular submission date
- October 24: Regular submission date
- November 13: Regular submission date
- December 4: Final review session for spring 2018 semester
Applications valid for only Fall 2018
- February 5: Ensures consideration for advanced registration
- February 19: Transfers are strongly encouraged to submit by this date
- March 12: Final review session for fall 2018 semester