Nursing (BSN) - Traditional
Mennonite College of Nursing offers the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree for Prelicensure B.S.N. nursing students. The traditional nursing curriculum extends over four semesters of full-time study. Each semester of the academic year provides for the practice of skills and the application of knowledge through a variety of classroom, laboratory and clinical experiences.
Point of Pride
Nursing students come into MCN with some of the highest GPAs and ACT scores at the University.
Why study Nursing (BSN) - Traditional?
Nursing is the largest healthcare field. Three out of five nurses work in hospitals. Many nurses work part-time. Nursing combines science and technology with the desire to help people. One must enjoy helping people of all types and backgrounds. Nursing requires both physical stamina and emotional stability. Nurses must be able to follow orders and direct others.
Applying to Illinois State
Students must apply to Illinois State as a freshman for direct admission into the major by designating: "Nursing (BSN) - Prelicensure" as their major choice on the Illinois State admission application. The majority of the nursing class will be admitted via this option.
To remain in the major students must:
- Earn an overall Illinois State University GPA of 2.50 or higher on at least 24 completed hours and a grade of C or better in the following courses: BSC 160; BSC 181 or KNR 181/183; BSC 182 or KNR 182/184; CHE 110 and 112, or 140; FCS 102; HSC 105; PSY 110, 213; and one of the following: ECO 138; POL 138; PSY 138; MQM 100; MAT 150.
- Maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA after completing NUR 224 and 237.
- Maintain full-time, consecutive fall–spring enrollment at the University. Any student not enrolled at the University for more than one fall or spring semester or who has been academically dismissed from the major must reapply to the major. Readmission will be granted on a selective basis.
- Obtain a C or better in all nursing courses; dismissal from the major will result when a student receives a grade of less than C in any two nursing courses or twice for the same course.
- Those students who are dismissed from the major will be changed to "Undeclared" major status.