- Strong written and oral communication
- Problem solving skills
- Team player and also ability to make decisions alone
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Kind heartedness and the ability to understand others feelings
- Work well under pressure
- Ability to determine patients needs and administer drugs
- Adaptive to new environments
- Ability to work with medical equipment
Career Industry Liaison
223 Bone Student Center
Edwards Hall 303
Being Successful in the Field
- Earn a master's degree to prepare for advanced practice nursing including: clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioner, nurse midwife, nurse anesthetist, and administration. Earn a doctoral degree for research or teaching at a university.
- All states regulate nursing by requiring licensure.
Hospital Specialties Include:
- Critical Care
- Women's Health
- Newborn Intensive Care
- Cancer Treatment
- Operating Room/Recovery Room
- Clinics and medical centers
- Physicians' offices and medical groups
- Outpatient surgery centers
- Home health agencies
- Extended care facilities: Nursing homes, Rehabilitation centers, Hospices
- Psychiatric hospitals and mental health agencies
- Educational institutions
- Large corporations
- Be prepared to work nights, weekends, and holidays in a hospital setting.
- Obtain a master's degree for positions such as nurse practitioner, clinical specialist, or nurse administrator.
- Cultivate managerial skills for head nurse or other supervisory positions.
Community and Public Health
- Home Health
- Rural Nursing
- Health Education
- Public and private schools
- Daycare centers
- Mental health facilities
- State and local health departments
- Home healthcare agencies
- Senior centers
- Nurse-run clinics
- Religious organizations
- Social service agencies
- Develop expertise in first aid procedures.
- Expand knowledge of health issues related to age, cultures, religions, ethics, and government policies.
- Obtain a master's degree for nurse practitioner positions.
- Temporary Staffing
- Travel Nursing
- Personal Services Contracting
- Private Duty
- Healthcare staffing agencies
- Travel companies
- Businesses and organizations with temporary needs
- Private households
- Gained the required years of experience.
- Learn to work autonomously and make decisions independently.
- Be prepared to move frequently to various locations either locally or abroad.
- Become flexible and adaptable.
- Staff Nursing
- Policy Development
- Government health agencies including: Public Health Service, Indian Health Service, Veterans Administration, Peace Corps, VISTA
- Armed services
- Define an area of interest since government work offers a variety of practices.
- Plan on graduate study in teaching, research, or administration for advancement.
- Become familiar with other cultures, languages, health systems and beliefs.
- Be prepared for combat nursing in armed services.
- Educational Administration
- Teaching hospitals
- Colleges and universities
- Schools of nursing
- Wellness centers
- Public school systems
- Community education programs
- Take courses in the principles and practices of teaching.
- Earn an advanced degree to teach at the college or university level.
- Gain experience in public speaking.
- Large hospitals and medical centers
- Colleges and universities
- Centers for nursing research
- National Institute for Nursing
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Gain experience with research through supervised independent study or class projects.
- Develop curiosity, analytical thinking, attention to detail, persistence, good writing skills, and an understanding of statistics.
- Obtain a Ph.D.
- Athletic Trainer
- Cardiac Nurse Clinician
- Clinical Specialist
- Community Health Coordinator
- First Aid Nurse
- Flight Nurse
- Infection Control Specialist
- Nurse Anesthetist
- Nurse Consultant
- Nurse Educator
- Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Assistant
- Physical Therapist
- Public Health Nurse
- Pharmaceutical SalesRepresentative
- Recreational Therapist
- Surgical Intensive Care Nurse