The School Nurse Graduate Certificate program provides education that will lead to increased confidence and competence as a school nurse and leader in schools, as well as provide education that will help to prepare students for taking the Professional Educator License-Certified School Nurse (PEL-CSN) exam. The program has been approved by the Illinois State Board of Education.
Our program is offered “fully online”, with two sequential theory courses during the summer and one theory/practicum course in the fall term, providing you with the flexibility needed to balance a busy work and personal life.
- Prepare you for leadership and advocacy within the school system
- Fully participate in IEP conferences advocating and supporting children and families
- Improve your marketability
Discover what life as a Illinois State graduate student is like with an Online Graduate Student Information Session.
University Admission Requirements
A student applying to a graduate certificate program must:
- have earned a four-year bachelor's degree or its equivalent from a college or university that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association, or do so before beginning the program
Due to limited on-campus courses, immigration documentation cannot be issued for students seeking F-1 or J-1 status.
Additional Program Admission Requirements
Admission consideration is given to applicants who submit complete applications by the March 1st deadline for summer term admission. Applicants will be notified of their admission status by early April.
Interested applicants must:
- be employed as a school nurse
- have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from a program accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or a bachelor's degree in another field of study with an associate degree in nursing
- have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate course work; to include courses in which the student is currently enrolled
- copy of RN license, as evidence of RN licensure in Illinois
- include on the online application the name and email address of one reference, which must be from the principal or assistant principal of the school in which the applicant serves in the role of a school nurse. Your recommender will receive instructions to complete and upload this reference form to the recommender site.
- Summer Term — March 1