During the semester in which you plan to graduate, be sure to complete the following steps:
- Apply to Graduate
Register to participate in a commencement ceremony
- While it is past the commencement registration deadline, you can still fully participate in the ceremony by completing the Commencement Ceremony Late Registration form. We will send additional ceremony information to you within a few days after you register.
- If you are graduating in spring or summer, you will participate in a May commencement ceremony.
- If you are graduating in winter, you will participate in a December ceremony.
- Participation in a commencement ceremony is optional and does not impact the awarding of your degree.
Purchase cap and gown
- Did you forget to order a cap and gown? On Wednesday, December 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., a Jostens representative will have a limited number of cap and gowns available for purchase on a first-come, first-served basis in 304 Student Services Building. The online cap and gown sale for spring commencement will begin in late January.
- All students participating in a commencement ceremony should wear a cap and gown.
Pick up your honor cord if you have earned a Latin honors designation
- The Office of the University Registrar will email you near the end of the semester with information about picking up your cord. Questions? Contact Graduation@IllinoisState.edu .
- Order an official Illinois State University transcript showing your degree earned if needed.
- Degrees may not appear on transcripts for several weeks after graduation.
- Check your Illinois State email frequently for commencement ceremony event updates and details.
- Pay any outstanding financial obligations to the University.
- Confirm your personal information, including your mailing address, is up-to-date.
- Diplomas will be mailed to the address indicated on the application for graduation approximately 12 weeks following the conclusion of the semester.
- Graduates: Go to Horton Field House with your cap and gown one hour prior to the start of your ceremony for check-in and line-up.
- Guests: Go to CEFCU Arena. Doors will open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Seating is first-come, first-serve. There are no tickets and no limit to the number of guests who may attend.
View your Commencement Ceremony Photos
- If you participated in a commencement ceremony, GradImages will email your photos to your Illinois State email address approximately one week following the ceremony.
- You can also use the GradImages online photo locator to look up your ceremony photos